Monday, May 11, 2009

How Fitting

Today in Civics and Econ, we did this activity with the cycle of production and consumption. The individuals started out with resources, and the businesses started out with money. The businesses bought the resources and then sold "Econs" which represented goods and services. In the end, the individuals with the most Econs and the businesses with the most money won. I feel like I'm being trained to be a good little consumer.
At the same time, the Story of Stuff was in the NYTimes.
I don't think the person who dies with the most stuff wins. I don't think the person who dies with the most money wins. I don't think anyone needs to win.
I know this sounds horribly cheesy, but I think winning is more about being contented with what you do, being able to be happy. And I don't think you have to have a lot of money to do that.
I guess I'm going to get shipped back to the commune soon. Sigh. Do they have internet access there?

3 Fab Fans:

Andrea said...

Back to the commune?

Samantha said...

Yes, I'm rejecting consumerist socicety too much.

Aeromax said...

Even from a purely materialistic standpoint, having a large amount of money isn't terribly useful. It's having buying a large amount of expensive stuff with your money.

Of course, you get even more points if you buy a large amount of stuff with someone else's money.