Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ahh! Books!

I was looking through the archives today and I realized that it's been almost a year since I posted the list of the books I like. How sad is that?
Last year's picks were Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The View From Saturday, My Sister's Keeper, Anne Frank, and Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes.
Harry Potter, The View From Saturday, and Anne Frank are still on the list. I don't see them ever coming off the list, honestly. I love those books, I can read them again and again and never get bored. New for this year are Paper Towns and Catcher in the Rye.
I read Paper Towns in October and Catcher in August and November. I was just wondering what happened to the first half of the year, reading wise, and then I realized. Jodi Picoult stole it. I really like her books, my current favourite is probably The Pact. It's at least in the top 20, along with Nineteen Minutes. Another good book that I read this year was The Bell Jar. I think it belongs in the top ten. I'm reading Conversations With God and The Secret Life of Octavian Nothing right now. They're interesting. Conversations With God deserves another three posts.
Remember when I wanted to read like, 75 books this year? I don't know if I made it or not. I've totally lost track of the books I've read, and I don't really care. I guess it matters more what books than how many. Is realizing this some sign of personal growth? It better be.
The books that I want to read next year fall into the Deep category. Deep and old.
The books I really should read: The Great Gatsby, Catch-22, Lord of the Flies, The Koran (at least some portion of it), and As You Wish.
Maybe we should call this deepish and oldish. Can the oldness in The Koran compensate for the newness of As You Wish? If you know of any books that I should read, put them in the comments. I just might read them. Wouldn't that make you feel so influential and special and shiny and wonderful? Yes. Yes it should.

3 Fab Fans:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to restrain my sarcasm and be open-minded here, so give me a break if it doesn't work.
I'm genuinely curious regarding why you liked Catcher in the Rye.
In my opinion, Holden is a cynical brat and reading that kind of book just puts me in a bad mood. But I know it's considered classic and wonderful and stuff, so enlighten me!
If this came out really rude, sorry! :-P

Samantha said...

I like catcher in the rye because holden is sort of the person we all hate to admit that we are at some point in time.
It's not a super interesting plot and I didn't like it when we read it in school, but I loved it when I read it over the summer. I guess what I like is that it's all in his head. I think more books need to be like that.

Sorry, that probably didn't make any sense.

Zoopsia said...

i have the great gatsby, you can borrow it. i love it but... it's a love hate relationship.

oh, and i want to read the catcher ITR now....