Saturday, February 5, 2011

BAZINGA

I promise that one day, in the near future, I will actually blog instead of posting random bits of writing for other things on here. Promise.
Today is not that day.

This is my last college essay. Yay! Woohoo!


Dreams are the things we live for. Goals are like that, but they're more important because they give us direction and they keep us from wandering aimlessly throughout the universe. Goals allow us to dream big and put everything towards reaching that dream because maybe, just maybe we can make it. That hope, that idea that one day, we can live the dream means everything to us.
Making people happy is the overarching goal in my career and my art. Making people happy, giving them that little pep that keeps their day going, Art makes people happy because it makes people think. When you see something and it invokes an emotional reaction, it's not just the art that's doing that. It's the connection that art can give to people. Not all kinds of art, though. Pictures and movies, they entertain us. They give us a little escape from reality. And while some escapes leave us alone in our own little worlds, art connects us on a level that isn't available any other way.
When I was in kindergarten and the teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up, I said I wanted to be an artist. My goals flitted back and forth for a long time, but after asking myself about it for years and years, I realized that I knew it all along. I was supposed to be an artist. That was why I was always drawing. That was why I was the only kid who liked going to art museums. That was why I read The Series of Unfortunate Events and obsessed over the illustrations, not the words. That was why I watched animated movies long after they were age-appropriate. I was meant to do this, I saw. I just had to figure out how I was going to.
College. I needed to go to college, specifically art school. It was scary though. I didn't know anyone who had gone to art school, and everyone who was looking at colleges was aiming for math and science. I was all alone. Then, Mr. Boyer stepped in. He asked me what I wanted to do with my life, pushed me to figure it out, and do so for myself. I researched. I looked into careers, trying to find the one that was perfect for me. And in the end, I had it narrowed down, but I wasn't sure. I knew I wanted to be commercial more than fine arts, and I knew that I wanted to make things that told stories. I've loved stories for a very long time, and I knew I wanted to have something to do with that. Animation or illustration, those were perfect for me. That is where I belong. And Columbus College of Art and Design is the school that can take me there.
Those goals will guide me through the next for years and on into my career. I hope that I can wake up every day and realize that I'm living the dream and telling stories that light up peoples lives.

Be amazed. For serious.

2 Fab Fans:

Bianka Rose said...

I'm amazed. Seriously.
Did you apply to ColumbIA College of Art and Design?

Samantha said...

Really? Uhh...okay.
Nope. Columbus. In Ohio. Did you apply to Columbia College?