Monday, October 5, 2009

Love?

I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I love it, or if it's just something that I like right now, but I'll feel differently in a few months or a year. I'm sort of talking about art now, but the question applies itself to everything in my life. Writing? French? Blogging? Running away? They're all things that I'm into (the idea of, in some cases) right now, but I'm not sure about them in the long term.
This goes back to Kendall.
Apparently for Furniture Design, they do let almost everyone in. Because it's all furniture, there aren't very many people who want to go into it. Like Auto Design, that's the only thing you do your entire time in college. I like furniture design. I like it a lot.
But really, I don't love it.
Do I love history? Maybe. Do I love writing? I might. Do I love French? I do right now. Do I love blogging? Sometimes I do. Do I love the idea of running away? I often do.
But do I love any of these enough to spend forever on them? I really don't think I do.
Sometimes, you hear people talk about passion. So and so is really passionate about something. It makes them happy. They can spend all day doing it, day after day. There's nothing that has ever been like that for me, and that makes me curious.

10 Fab Fans:

Aaron said...

Try reading a short overview about something new. I read "A Brief History of Science" several years ago, and that's what sparked my passion for physics. Browse around until something catches your eye.

Samantha said...

What category would you reccomend browsing in?

Bianka Rose said...

Uhh...I think he would recommend physics/science.
But I really like this post. So true.

Aaron said...

Since it's me recommending stuff, obviously science. I can lend you my "A Brief History of Science" if you want, and there stacks of books in my room if you crave more detail.

Aaron said...

You don't always need to focus on only one thing as well. Isaac Asimov was a biochemist, historian, and textbook writer, but he's remembered best for his fiction.

Samantha said...

But I think you'll (am I really talking about myself like this?) end up better at it if you focus on one thing. Asimov was probably an acception.
And the brief history of science does sound interesting. Is it written like you have to read it cover to cover or you can read bits and pieces of it?

Samantha said...

Not the acception. Exception.

Aaron said...

You can read bits and pieces of it, start at a random part if you like.

Samantha said...

Could I borrow it?

Aeromax said...

The things you like will probably change, as well as what you do with them. The world is a very big place and we have a good amount of time to do things in it.

Becoming a polymath now (in the spirit of Franklin or da Vinci) is simply not possible, with the amount of technical information available. However, we can still learn as much as we can. And do things we enjoy.