Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More Books!!!!

Have you ever read one of Natasha Friend's books? They're pretty good. I read her new one, Bounce, yesterday. It's about this girl whose mother dies and then her father gets remarried and makes her move. Her other books are Perfect and Lush. Perfect is about this girl who's bullimic and lush is about this girl whose dad is an alchoholic. Here's the one complaint I have. All of her main characters are like 13 years old, but they just don't seem 13. Yeah, 13 was awkward. She gets the awkward all right. Her characters just don't seem to understand and react to things the way 13 year olds do. I would probably react the same way, and I'm 15.
How does a writer make their characters seem their age? I'm just thinking about Letters to No One, and I don't know if the characters are the right ages. Huh. Any ideas?

3 Fab Fans:

Andrea said...

Hmm. I've read Perfect. It was ok. I don't think I considered the main character to be 13ish though. It's not right.

But also. You spent a whole day on Bounce when you could have been reading A Midsummer Night's Dream? GASP. C'mon Sam! Shakespeare is waiting for you!

Bianka Rose said...

um yeah i am NOT about to go read ANY of those books by some amatuer author who has nothing when it comes to say, SHAKESPEARE WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN READING (AMND) INSTEAD OF THESE OTHER, LESSER BOOKS!

Anonymous said...

I have Perfect... somewhere.... I thought it was OK, but not good. Does that make any sense?