Saturday, January 2, 2010

Start off awkward and disjointed.

Hello lovelies. I hope you had a happy new year! Mine has been pretty amazing thus far, if you were curious.

Now that we're over a day into the new decade, I feel like I can gain perspective and make some conclusions about the last one. Everyone else was doing this a week ago, but I wanted to wait until it was truly over. That's how I roll. So, without further ado, this is the list of important things that I did in the last ten years.

  • I learned to read.
  • I read a bunch of books, then I lost my attention span for books. That made me really sad.
  • I went from being a dorky six-year-old to being a dorky sixteen-year-old.
  • I went to school. A lot.
  • I understood things a lot more. For instance, when 9/11 happened, I had no clue what it implied for the world. If it happened today, I think I would have something of a clue.
Do you feel as though your life has been changed by reading that list? You should.
I saw this quote written on the wall of a school we were going to for quizbowl, and I liked it a lot, so I decided stick it on the blog.

“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.” - Henry Rollins

According to my spreadsheet, I am 22 words ahead of where I need to be for WriYe. In reality, I'm 200ish words ahead of where I need to be, because they are not accounting for NaNoWriMo.
Also, I have recently come to the realization that I could go to prom this year, if I wanted. I could go to prom with a guy, if I wanted.
This is an insane concept.

11 Fab Fans:

Aeromax said...

In the last ten years I didn't learn much but I did learn enough to make it sound like I did.

I hope.

Bianka Rose said...

Why is it so insane?
And yes, I feel like my life has been very impacted by your list, however I was saddened by your lack of an AP Euro Reference. AP Euro Reference=necessary. :P

And that's a really good quote.

Luna Moon said...

So Spencer already asked you to prom? That's so cute!

Aaron said...

The end of a year just means that we're somewhere near the same arbitrary point on our orbit as we were before.

What's your WriYe goal? Mine's 250k. (3 months 50k, 2 months 0, 7 months 15k; daily on 15k=500)
I'm behind by 600 right now. Writing a lot is much harder when it's not a single, massive piece.

Andrea said...

I am not going to Prom, no matter what!

Samantha said...

Jake-Out of everyone who commented on this post, you're the only one who I knew in 2000. You win. And I think you can make it look like you learned something.
Emaline-The last thing on the list was a bit of an Euro reference. Euro is about holistic history, and being aware of how things effect other things is part of that.
Michelle-No, but I love his glasses.
Aaron-Why so many months of 50k? Are you doing 50k for July and August? It makes more sense to have a semi-regular pace.
Andrea-Not even if Tenki asked you?

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bianka Rose said...

Spencer is planning on asking you to prom??
But then again, this is Michelle. She thinks I'm having a secret affair with Eshwar. What the freak!?

Samantha said...

I have not heard that Spencer was planning on asking me to prom. This is a crazy idea the Michelle has gotten in her head. The idea of you having a secret affair with Eshwar is somewhere between hilarious and weird. I haven't decided yet.

Aaron said...

You know what 50k in one month means.
The months are [June xor July], August, and November.

Samantha said...

I win.