Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Outside the Comfort Zone...

Woah. I just stepped way outside my comfort zone. I'll start this story at the beginning. Every year we usually go to the Thanksgiving Eve service for the interfaith group that my Church and many other churches in the area belong to. The service moves from church to church every year. I wouldn't call it a very diverse experience, as just about everyone there is Christian or Jewish. This year, they changed the Thanksgiving Eve service to Sunday night, and my Mom thinks that there should be a Thanksgiving Eve service on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, not on a Sunday night. We ended up not going to that Thanksgiving service. My mom stumbled across another, much more diverse Thanksgiving Eve service in the area. It was held at a Gurdwara (Sikh house of worship) I'd never been to one before, so that was interesting. there were people from many different religions, such as Sikh (Obviously), Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judisiam, Baha'i (ism?), Islam, and Native American. It was really interesting to see all these different traditions. Most of the prayers and such had the common messege of "One God. Be nice to people. Worship God." The religion that I learned the most about was probably Sikh. It was an interesting, new experiance, and I felt pretty odd to be sitting on the floor, barefoot in a place of worship. Apparently after all weekly services, the Sikhs have a meal, which was pretty good.

Things like this restore my faith in humankind. If we realize that all these religions belive things that are so much alike, we begin to question why we fight at all. We belong to the human family.

1 Fab Fans:

Tree said...

I am happy you had an outside the comfort zone expreience. It does matter about Jesus. He is different than all the other religious leaders combined. If you want I will give you a book kinda overviewing all the worlds religions. I am not trying to tell you what to believe. I am encouraging you to investigate wisely. Look for the TRUTH. It is only in the TRUTH that we find life. Have a great day.