Sunday, November 15, 2009

Quote of the Month

"I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend...I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend..."
Neil Gaiman

3 Fab Fans:

Aeromax said...

I think of human life as waves in a pool; fleeting, complex, impossible to record or understand completely without denying attention to the millions that surround and interact with it. And like waves, lives influence each other, they dissolve into each other and provide the interference which spawns more waves. And the waves visible on the surface are just a hint of the patterns that lay in the water beneath. No observer can see the swirling eddies and vortices that blink in and out of existence within a half-second's time.

Water is cool like that.

Samantha said...

But if you watch it forever, what do you get out of it? Do you see the changes, or is it roughly the same over time?

Henry Warren said...

Water's the same over time. Have you ever had to work with a team of hydrodynamicists? They never shut up about this; it's just analogy after analogy.