Sunday, October 5, 2008

Who needs a title?

I went to church today. I thought there was Sunday school, but then I forgot that it was the first Sunday of the month, so there wasn't. Which meant that when i was done realizing that it wasn't happening and talking to people about it, I went and sat down in church with my mom and grandpa. The sermon was something about giving time and money, that's what this part of the year is all about. It was about being rich in relationships and experiences rather than stuff and money, I think. There was something in the bulletin about the Nooma video series and how people need real faith more than they need to dress up and go to church on Sunday.
And then it struck me.
This is so full of bullshit. No one needs this crap. No one in that sanctuary was being themselves. That sermon wasn't helping anyone.
None of us need to hear it, we need to do it. We don't want to have religion, we want to have faith. My church isn't giving anyone faith. My church gives religion and youth group and a sermon and cookies when it's over. It's just so fake. There's so much that isn't meaningfull or personal, you expect church to be the exemption. That's how church is supposed to be. It's supposed to be about God and about loving people. It just seems like religion is used for making money and starting wars. It's not helping anyone.
God doesn't care if you go to church. God doesn't care what religion you are. God doesn't even care if you spend all day writing children's books about killing him. If your God can be killed by a children's book, that's not a very big God.
It's not about the little stuff. What matters? What matters is how hard you tried to help the world around you.
Good night.

4 Fab Fans:

Hannah Fawdrey said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. A God looks at how people behave and treat others when they're not trying to do good,not when they're shouting 'Look! I'm being good!' It's a very mature realisation.

Tree said...

Continue to seek Truth
You will find and follow the Truth. Peace

Bianka Rose said...

you're so deep sometimes, sam. but may i ask you a question...do you feel like *you* are out there, doing things that you feel are right and that will have a positive influence or effect on the lives of others or the community around you? because that really is what matters, you know. (sorry, i know it sounded like a lame question...)

Samantha said...

No. I'm really not improving the world. I take more than I give, and I feel bad about that.