Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bloggity blog blog.

I'm not a good Quizbowler, and I'm fine with that. I just wanted to put that out there. I'm not going to play professionally, and I think we all knew that.
More and more, I'm thinking that school and I think in completly different ways. When I mentioned this to my mother, she said "Haven't you been thinking this for the past five years?" Uhh, no Mom, I haven't. I'm at the point where nothing at all feels like it applies to my life. School is not in the business of teaching me how to be a person or how to get what I want out of life or any of that, school is in the business of passing out diplomas. You jump through the right hoops, you become a robot that is good enough, and you go off and you're allowed to have a perfectly satisfactory life. That's fine, I guess.
I don't think I can handle living life that way.
But, of course, we already realized that.
The problem is the lack of middle ground. You live the consumerist, plastic life, or you reject it all and then you run off to Alaska and starve to death and have some fool write a book about you.
Ewww.
I don't want either of those. I'm not sure what I want, and that's what makes it so hard to reject this and fight for the things I believe in.
In other news, my art teacher told me to collect books of furniture that I like, so that when I go and work for someone like these people, I know what I want to make. I think this is a fantastic idea. All I need to do is go to King's.

1 Fab Fans:

Aeromax said...

By looking at the artifacts of consumerism, it ought to be everywhere, but by looking at the people who consume and produce these artifacts it's a lot more difficult to find decadence. And that union of decidedly human humans, that somehow turns on a grand scale into a vast impersonal machine, might be a good thing for the first part or absolute hell for the second. I have no idea. But what I do know is that the further away you stand from something, the more easily it is to discretely divide it. So easy, in fact, that there's no other way to look at it, and a lot of divisions get drawn where none ought to exist for lack of a definite boundary.

[the above comment actually had a point and although i've forgotten what it was you can bet your bum it's there]