Sunday, March 23, 2008

Whew!

I've been pretty busy lately, even though I haven't had school. I've been in drivers ed (I know, makes you want to stay off the roads), knitting, reading, contemplating homework, etc. I have some pictures to post, if I can make my camera play nice. I also read The Life of Pi, which is a fabulous book, but I think the author might be crazy. There's nothing wrong with that.
Here's a excerpt of the story. Tell me what you think, okay?

March 8 9th grade

Dear You,

I don’t fit. I’m not like these people. I’m not even one of those people who’s really popular because they’re new and shiny and different. I’m the kind of different where you know eight people. I don’t mean that I have eight best friends, I mean that there are eight people who I am not related to who would recognize me and say hey if I saw them at the grocery store. It’s not like I just beamed down from mars last week either, I’ve been living here for a week short of forever. I’m just the kid who slips out of everyone’s memories the moment I get in them. I’m the schwa, always there, never noticed.

Just there.

If I died tomorrow, who would notice? I’m not talking about who would find my body, or who would go to my funeral, It’s who would realize that they haven’t seen me in three days , and haven’t heard from me in the same. I guess it’s just me asking who would notice that I’m missing and care enough to email or call me, asking where I am. Who would call the cops if I didn’t respond?

Is that the difference between a friend and a best friend?

There’s a rather large part of me that says I should conduct an experiment to see who my best friends really are. I would go missing for a week or so, then check my email and answering machine. If no one has noticed, then...I don’t have any real friends.

Come to think about it, the only reason I haven’t done that yet is because I’m afraid of the results

6 Fab Fans:

Anonymous said...

I love your story! I did NaNoWriMo as well, and managed 50k in November, but probably less than 10k was of any quality even close to this...

BTW, I'm FiberFiend6891 from Ravelry and I found you through the Teen Bloggers group. ;)

Andrea said...

Wait.... Is that from the Life Of Pi or from yourr story?

Samantha said...

It's from my story.
Fiberfiend, most of my story isn't that good. this is the part that was edited....way edited.

Tree said...

Dear You -
I write to tell the you - that you would be greatly missed. You have impacted my life in a real way. I am a better person because you have encouraged me. I would miss you. So you - though our worlds do not come in contact often, I want you to know that I would be very sad to learn that you had taken leave. Well, I hope this is good. Your writing comes from the soul?? Continue to share and enjoy this outlet. Peace

Samantha said...

soulloon, you're making me get a little tearey... It's good to know that I would be missed. I'm trying to make the story sound very...deepfull.

Bianka Rose said...

your story does sound deepful. but is the narrator meant to be yourself? or are you writing to yourself? and i like your book, sam. i think it arouses many deep and invoking thoughts.