Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Another Religion Post...

Okay. I got thinking about religion, and I kind of couldn't stop (just like Doritos) and I ended up wanting to write something about it. I couldn't figure out a way to work it into the current story, so I figured I'd post it here. Be prepared for a rant. Go grab snacks or tea or something. I'm having raspberry herbal, it's too late for caffeine.I'm Christian. United Methodist, to be exact. I don't know for how long that will be true, but at the present it is, and since the only thing we can be sure of is the present, I'll go with that.What religion are you? Would you still be of that religion if you hadn't been born into your family? Were you raised in that religion? Has there been anything that has confirmed your belief in whatever you believe in? Have you ever thought of converting? Have you ever had people try to convert/evangelize you? Have you really paid attention to what they have to say? Have you ever tried to convert/evangelize to someone?
I don’t think that I would be United Methodist if I wasn’t born into my family. However, I think out of all the varieties of Christianity, Methodism suits me the best. Really though, I don’t think I would be religious if my parents weren’t. It’s always interested me; peoples’ relationship with religion. My dad’s parents made him go to church every Sunday, and he rarely goes now. When he does go, it’s Christmas, Easter, or he’s going to the UU church. My mom’s parents wouldn’t make her go to church. I never knew this before tonight, but apparently when she was a teenager, they didn’t go to church much, but my mom went to church and was involved in youth group. There’s a lot of people who went to church when they were younger, but have stopped going, found something better to do on a Sunday morning. There are also people who grew up with atheist or agnostic parents, but are now devout.
I’ve been in this class on world religions and comparing them to Christianity. It’s been pretty interesting, but the video to go along with the class is kind of narrow minded, not to mention that I could have filmed it (using my mad movie skillzzzz, of course). It only covered six major religions-Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. The portions on Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam were all very focused on the history and central beliefs rather than the rituals of any of the religions. This week was the finale, Christianity. I brought one thing away from the video sermon, and that was that Christianity is for slackers.
Christianity is for Slackers.
He said how all many of the other religions had some sort of work to achieve eternal salvation involved, but with Christianity, Jesus just died on a cross, so you don’t need to work anymore. Is Christianity really for slackers? We give a free ticket to heaven to anyone who can accept Jesus as their savior (easier said than done). What if God decided that if you want to go to heaven, you have to pray five times a day? How many christians would actually make a point of interrupting their day to worship god? What if god wanted you to memorize scripture, whole books of the bible? Who would actually do it? I know that I probably wouldn’t do either- too time consuming, I have other things that I need to do, I don’t think that memorizing is a good way to learn things, the bible was written by people-not the direct word of god. There’s a whole host of excuses that I would use to get out of doing anything for my religion that I don’t feel like.

Does that mean that I don’t really believe in what I say I believe in? That I’m a fake, a poser?

14 Fab Fans:

Anonymous said...

If the documentary implied that Christianity is for slackers they were way off base. We are told to pray without ceasing. We are supposed to cloak ourselves in the Word of God...which basically means memorization because I can't carry my Bible everywhere. When you accept Jesus as God's son and ransom for your soul you have to give everything to him. That, in my opinion, is so much harder than earning glory. How often do we say, "I'll take care of this problem, I know what I'm doing?" All the time. Remember, to be a Christian is so much more than Sunday morning at church, it's a lifestyle. I struggle all the time, I think everyone does. I love that you are thinking outside the box. It is imperative to understand why you are what you are. Take care and have a great day!

Tree said...

you my girl are a deep thinker, which is good. how much do you want me to say?? I have some thoughts if you care to hear them. . . I know I can blog my thoughts if that is ok. what do you think?

Samantha said...

Krista, it wasn't really a documentary or anything, it was just this movie that had said that other religions required so much work, but christianity just says that jesus is saving you. it wasn't against christianity, the guy was a minister, after all.

Anonymous said...

I DO memorize whole books of Scripture.

AJ said...

Wow. Such a deep post. Now you've got me thinking! I don't think being honest about what you probably would or wouldn't do doesn't make you a hypocrite/poser. It just means that you are accepting the limitations of being human. (Does that sound mean?) Trust me, I don't think I could handle all the rituals of other religions, either! But that's why Jesus died for us so that we wouldn't have to go through all that drama and all the rituals. All you need is faith.

~AJ

Andrea said...

Hmm. I have those questions all the time. But, really, if my parents didn't make me go to church (which is happening less and less often), I wouldn't go. I listen to the sermons, try to take away from that, but a lot of the time I'm thinking about what's going in heaven (if there is one). What if God is just as faulted as we are, and thinks the whole "worship him every second!" thing is weird. Like, if we have everything totally wrong and he isn't as perfect as we think he is. Then I considering worshipping him like worshipping just an average person, and it makes no sense. After these thoughts follow the whole "ohmigod I'm going to Hell" and then I think that maybe God is way stricter than I like to believe and totally hates my guts and all my thoughts. I don't know.

But for awhile now I've been going on the belief that there isn't a definte god. Whatever a person believes in, that's what will happen to them. If you don't believe in God, then nothing happened to your soul when you die (you disappear). Or if you believe in reincaration, then that is your fate. This makes me relaxed, like if with ALL my heart and soul I BELIEVED that when I died I would live in a heaven with, I don't know, a perfect life that would happen to me. Or if I believe (with allllll my heart and soul) that I would be a sponge when I die, that's what would happen.

Not that I want to be a sponge.

Tree said...

Cool, I will blog about my thoughts. It is not my intent to convert someone to my way of thinking. I want to encourage folks to follow Jesus, and not a form of "RELIGION" I see following Jesus as a life thing, as an all or nothing thing. I stuggle in this walk to keep my focus on Him, but I also rest in his grace and mercy. I will write more about it in the coming days. you are an awesome thinker. Continue to seek TRUTH. You will find HIM. Peace

Samantha said...

I really like the discussion that's evolving from that post.
Christopher-That's much more than I could do. I'm terrible at memorizing.
AJ-Is there a difference between being honest because the world needs to see who you really are and who you think you are? I wonder if my blog is really more about who I think I am. Does that make any sense?
Andrea-I kind of agree with your second paragraph, the idea that whatever you believe in is true for you. Here's the problem:what if you don't believe in anything? You're so going to be a sponge in your next life.
SoullooN-I think that more people should view beliefs that way. I'm not really sure how I view it....huh.

Andrea said...

If you don't believe in anything, I think nothing happens to you. And I hope I'm not a sponge...that seems like quite a boring (and possibly painful) afterlife. Of course, this could be our prelife and there is something radically different in store for all of us after we die.

Bianka Rose said...

being a sponge sounds like reincarnation. is that what you guys mean?? maybe you should try other churches i dunno. you could come to my church!! ha! it's easter sunday next week...it'll be all about the Atonement. not that you really know what that is.
Sam-you have a lot of people that read/comment on your blog. i feel pathetic now. you, andrea, and my mom are the only ones. i feel like a loser! although, you guys are pretty much the coolest people ever so i guess that's ok.

Samantha said...

Bianka (are you going by that now?)-people only leave a lot of comments when I post something that really makes people think. The rest of the time, zilch.
I guess I'd rather get thinking comments than shallow comments that I get from other types of posts.

Bianka Rose said...

oh ok. well that makes sense i suppose. most of your blogs are like that though unless they're really random...

Bianka Rose said...

From Clark Maxfield (Emaline's Dad):

I think that your commments are a good representation of the majority of Christianity. Many people feel like there is something more than what we currently know, however; they do not know where to find it. You are correct that the scriptures were written by men, however; they were written under the inspiration of the Almighty. After all isn't that what a prophet is - one who speaks in behalf of God? Would it not be a wonderful thing to have a man on the earth today, like Moses, who could give us the word of the Lord for our day. In the Sermon on the Mount the Savior said "beware of false prophets". My question to you would be why did he say beware of false prophets if there was to be no prophets on the earth today? Why would he not just say beware of false prophets and then anyone claiming to be a prophet could be instantly and unequivocally dubbed as a false prophet! The Savior established his church with a prophet and twelve apostles. Where are those prophets and apostles today?
Is Christianity really for slackers? I don't think so. Many may use it as a harbor of indolence but popularity does not imply conformance to the scriptures. Does God give a free ticket to anyone who simply confesses his name? Is anyone who confesses his name someone who does not strive to live the tenants the Savior gave while on the earth? God is a kind, loving Father. One who is just, not a merciless vengeful ruler. He would allow all men an equal opportunity to regain his presence.
Sorry I don't have time to counter all of your questions. Maybe someday we can talk - if you want to. :-)

Aeromax said...

Nobody really considers atheists. I mean, there's the Christians, the Muslims, the Hindus, the Buddhists, the Pastafarians... everyone's so obsessed with the next life they can't live this one.

And as far as I'm concerned, this is the only one. When your heart stops beating, when the neurons in your brain stop carrying electrical impulses...you're gone. Within a couple days, the connections in your brain have degenerated and fallen apart to the point of complete disrepair. There's no coming back.

And as far as some kind of ethereal 'soul', I find that rather hard to believe. Of course it's possible, and I could be wrong. The Rapture might happen tomorrow, and then I'd feel like a real jackass. But then again, Ragnarok might happen tomorrow; all religions are equally valid in my opinion. In my opinion, the possibility of an afterlife is very small. And no matter what religion I follow, there are eight other religions that say I'm going to Hell if I don't believe in them. And each one of those is just as probable as each other.

I only hope that, by living a moral and ethical life, whatever higher being that exists will grant me favor.

Or maybe Cthulhu will just eat me.